Thursday, January 12, 2012

Are You A Gamer?

I’m not a huge fan of video games, although I do adore one in particular that stories two brothers racing through a world of magical clouds and mushrooms to save the distressed princess.  And from time to time, I enjoy exercising through virtual sports.  But that’s about the extent of my video gaming.  No, I’m not a gamer. 

My husband on the other hand, loves video games of all sorts.  One of his favorites features a hero I call Ted.  That’s not his name; he just looks like a Ted to me.  Ted is in search of artifacts of great value and importance.  He begins his trek with only a cryptic map and his physical skills.  Unfamiliar with the territory, he must rely on his own intuition and deductive reasoning. 

Along the way, Ted collects trinkets that have no monetary worth, but they are invaluable, nonetheless.  These trinkets equip him for challenges and perils he will face on his journey.  Without them, Ted can’t continue forward and often dies.  The trinkets are required to survive but they don’t come easy.  They are often hidden in a crocodile infested swamp or among savage natives.  No, they don’t come easy, but with each small victory of obtaining another trinket, Ted is better equipped and more experienced to conquer the greater challenges that lie ahead. 

I’ve seen my husband play this game countless times and I’ve had no interest at all.   Why would I spend time as a cartoon man traveling an unknown land of great danger for a fabled treasure?  But just today, I’ve seen the game in a whole new light.  I relate to Ted.  We’re a lot alike.

As a Christian, I too am traveling through a world that is foreign to me.  I don’t know what lies ahead but I know there are challenges that I’m not yet equipped to handle.  So God has me on a journey of collecting trinkets.  They can’t be bought but they are indeed priceless; faith, wisdom, hope, forgiveness, love and patience just to name a few.  How do I discover these trinkets as I travel through life?  Well, just as Ted has a map, so do I.  God’s Word gives me all the direction I need, if only I’ll follow it.  Each small challenge I face in life allows me to gather these trinkets in greater measure.  And as they increase, I will be better equipped to fight the dangers of this world and take hold of the prize that lies before me. 

While Ted and I share a great deal in common, there is one major difference that makes this story worth telling.  Ted is chasing after a treasure that may not even exist.  And if it does, it’s only temporary; only valuable in his world.  The treasure I’m chasing – it’s eternal.  It’s worth fighting for.  And worth dying for. 

Today, I look forward to the challenges I will face.  God has equipped me for this day.  Today’s victories will prepare me for tomorrow’s journey.  So when I face a difficult situation that I’d rather not deal with, I’ll remind myself “I can handle this.  I’m a gamer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment